Friday, September 24, 2010

Snapshot of a Saturday



5:00 AM. That's when my alarm will go off tomorrow. I'll roll out of bed, do some push-ups and sit-ups, then get ready to head out the door. Yay! I get to sleep in--my alarm usually goes off at 4:30 AM!

At 6:30 AM we are having a team photo taken before our Saturday workout. We will all be in our white Team-in-Training shirts . . . smiling . . . happy to be up . . . happy to be alive . . . happy to be giving.

After the photo, we will begin our workout. The schedule says 7-8 miles--last Saturday it was ten. I ran 3-4 of the ten miles and power-walked the rest (no strolling allowed!). I can't run ten miles without walking yet, but I'm working on it!

This Saturday, we have a car wash following the workout, so we need to finish with enough time to get to the car wash location. I'll be washing cars tomorrow (including my own because it sorely needs it!)!  The weather is supposed to be in the 90s--I'm sure we will be spraying each other with the hoses while we are washing the cars! I can't wait--after a stressful work week, a hard workout with such a positive group of people is just what I need!

After the car wash, I'll head home and work on BSC stuff for a few hours before going to Mass. This is a busy time for me at work, and I have project deadlines to meet. I'll get a break on Sunday though--meeting up with a Portland friend in San Francisco at the Dragon Boat Festival!

I love training with the team, but it isn't easy. My feet hurt and are blistered and calloused--even a French pedicure won't help! On Sunday after the ten mile run/walk, my entire body was sore, and my left leg was bleeding where the seam from my running shorts had rubbed--I ran through that. Clothes don't rub noticeably during a two mile run--running long distances requires attention to clothing details!

There's no team workout next Saturday. Instead, I'll be volunteering in preparation for the Urban Cow Half-Marathon, and on Sunday, I'll be running in it. Don't bother checking my time--I'm not very fast, yet!

Soon October 17 will be here, and I'll be running in the Nike Marathon in San Francisco--I can't wait! This has been one of the most rewarding experiences for me--I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Join me in raising funds to fight cancer: Running for a Cure

Don't forget--I'll run with purple hair if I reach my goal of $2400 by October 1st! Together, we are making a difference!

No comments: