Friday, October 07, 2011

Facebook: is this a place for children?

Bottom line up front: I don't think children belong on Facebook.

Yes, Facebook is a fun place to connect, but even adults have been victimized via Facebook. Older kids, even college kids, have been bullied on Facebook. Some people think that kids can be on Facebook if properly monitored, but I disagree. Facebook has privacy issues, and kids just don't have the maturity and experience to deal with some of the issues that may be "faced" on Facebook. Facebook isn't just about playing games and posting pictures for your friends and family . . .  There are people who look for potential victims on Facebook--they look for children, women, etc. 

I am very careful with my own Facebook account--I wouldn't dream of allowing an elementary aged child to be on Facebook. Parents, grandparents, guardians . . . please think twice before allowing an elementary or middle school aged child to have an account on Facebook. Be a responsible adult and draw the line. I did.

4 comments:

tk said...

I'm amazed by people who allow the children in their care to have Facebook accounts . . . irresponsible.

Anonymous said...

I allow Autumn and Amber to be on Facebook. I am NOT an irresponsible parent because of this. I have their passwords and go on several times a week to see who they are friends with, what their friends are doing and get an idea for how these friends interact. I have "de-friended" people for my girls and told them why. I don't believe that putting children in a bubble away from the society we live in is realistic and it can cause more rebellion in the long run. The key is that parents have to be involved with their children, whether it's outside on a playground or sitting behind a monitor.

tk said...

Touche, Heide. I saw the profile pic of an elementary girl doing the duck face and flashing gang signs . . . amazed me.

tk said...

And yes, you are one of the most responsible parents I know . . .