Thursday, September 16, 2010

Progress defined by Traci

When I made the decision last April to participate in the Nike Marathon, I had multiple goals. First and foremost, I wanted to raise money to help fight cancer. My first event to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was in Spring of 2008 when I participated in the Big Climb in Seattle. I didn't raise a lot, but it felt good to help out (and the view from the Columbia Tower in Seattle is wonderful!). It was at this event that I learned about Team in Training.

Another goal that I had was to learn to run better and to love running. According to my APFT score, I'm not a faster runner (well, maybe a little faster), but I think my running has improved, and I've learned a lot (not just about running!).

Sometimes, I think I'm superwoman--that I can do anything. I will add things to my schedule as if there are 36 hours in a day. Training for a marathon has helped me to realize that I'm definitely not superwoman. I'm not being negative with this statement, I'm just realizing that it's important to take care of myself, and by that I mean getting enough rest, eating right, etc.

I work . . . a lot. A few weeks ago, I was asking one of my coaches how to get the most out of my training and asking about diet, etc. He told me that I need more rest, or I'm risking injury. I ignored him, and while I didn't get injured, I did get sick. I'm not fun to be around when I'm not feeling well . . .

So I'm learning to listen. And I'm learning to understand how different workouts feel depending on how much rest I've had, how I've been eating, and if I have been ill. One week, I ran in 110 degree weather--not fun at all. The following week, I took my APFT at Ft. Lewis where it was 54 degrees and raining. The rain felt great, but the cold air hurt my lungs. The next week, I was running hill repeats in the shade, and I loved it! This week, I walked while recovering from the flu and felt like I was dying. But you know what is great? I am healthy--I can do all of this, and I can push myself. And I keep myself focused on the goal--helping others. That's what this is about. While I'm running hill repeats, someone else is undergoing chemotherapy . . .

So I'm going to get some rest, keep my priorities straight, and keep on running.

You can help too--together we can make a difference:  Running for a Cure

If I meet my goal of $2400 before October 1, I'll color my hair purple for the marathon!

No comments: